TikTok Hot Chocolate Bombs
When you pour hot milk over these hot chocolate bombs, they melt and magically release the marshmallows and cocoa hiding inside.
1 cup chocolate chips or melting chocolate wafers 4 tbsp hot cocoa mix
4 tbsp mini marshmallows half circle silicone mold & food safe gloves
Optional: paint brush, oreos, graham crackers, pumpkin spice, instant coffee
What is a hot chocolate bomb?
Hot chocolate bombs or hot cocoa bombs are cute lil balls of chocolate that you put into a mug. When you pour hot milk into the mug, the chocolate melts and magically releases the marshmallows and cocoa hiding inside.
It’s super cute and fun and you can make SO many flavor variations! They are very easy to make, not to mention great gift ideas too!
How to make homemade hot chocolate bombs.
1. Melt your chocolate. Use the microwave to melt the chocolate melts or chocolate stirring in between until everything is smooth and pourable.
2. Fill the molds. Scoop some chocolate into the mold and use the back of a spoon or pastry brush to push the melted chocolate around the molds, making it thick enough along the sides and edges. Pop the molds into the freezer for 5-10 minutes to set.
3. Remove the chocolate from the molds. Gently push the half spheres out of the silicone mold.
4. Melt the edges. Microwave a microwave safe plate for a minute, you want the plate to be just hot enough to melt the chocolate. Pick up the empty half of the chocolate bomb and place it on the warm plate for a couple of seconds, just until it melts.
5. Fill. Add 1 tablespoon hot cocoa powder and mini marshmallows (and any other add-ins you want) to half of the spheres. Pick up another half and melt the edge on the warm plate then push the two sides together to seal.
6. Decorate. Drizzle on some extra chocolate, decorate with crushed cookies, candy, or sprinkles!
If you don’t have a mold, wrap two eggs in saran wrap and dip them in the melted chocolate. Place on a plate and let set. Dip them again (so the shell is slightly thick). They don’t end up completely round, but it still works. Then melt the edges, add the insides, and seal.
Which mold should I get for hot chocolate bombs?
The best mold for is a half sphere silicone mold. You can easily push the mold to pop the chocolate out. Silicone molds are fairly cheap and easy to use. The molds I use are 2 inches, but you can use up to 2.5 inches.
What chocolate can I use for hot chocolate bombs?
You can go the easy route and melt down chocolate chips, but you can also use candy melts which are easy to work with but don’t taste as good. There is also chocolate called couverture chocolate which is formulated to be easy to melt and set.
You can go wild with the hot chocolate flavors. Try these ones!
Oreo – place some crushed up oreos inside and on the outside for decoration.
S’mores – crush some graham crackers for inside the bomb and on top for decoration.
Peppermint – crush up some peppermint candies for inside the bomb and on top for decoration.
Pumpkin – put a teaspoon of pumpkin spice in with the hot chocolate mix and sprinkle some on top.
Coffee – add a teaspoon of instant coffee to the inside of the bomb.
Dark chocolate sea salt – sprinkle on some flaky sea salt.
Don’t overheat the chocolate! Take your time and microwave in 15 second intervals.
Make sure you have enough chocolate on the edges of your mold so the molds don’t break when you take them out.
If you need to, add more chocolate to the edges then let set again.
Use food safe gloves while you’re assembling so you don’t accidentally melt the outsides or leave fingerprints on your hot chocolate bombs.
Keep your place cold or run your hands under cold water for a while, the heat of your hands will make the chocolate melt.
Be gentle when sealing the bombs together, don’t push too hard.
Use your (gloved) finger to gently rub along the seam where the two halves come together to smooth it out.
To store the hot chocolate bombs, keep them in an air tight container in a cool spot in your kitchen or in the fridge
If you’re having problems with your spheres breaking or not releasing, here are even more tips!
Clean your mold. Use a paper towel and make sure the inside of your silicone mold is nice and shiny. If there’s lint it in it or any residue it will come out on your chocolate.
Use a (clean) paint brush, you’ll have a lot more control. Paint the inside of the mold generously, let set for 5 minutes in the fridge, then apply a second coat being sure to paint extra along the edges so they edges are reinforced.
Make sure you let the chocolate set long enough in the fridge. When the chocolate is set, it will be shiny and snappy and release easily from the molds.
Will it be chocolate-y enough?
Some of you are worried that there won’t be enough hot chocolate mix inside the the hot chocolate bomb. The outside of the bomb melts down and adds a HUGE chocolate hit. You can also add hot chocolate instead of milk to melt your hot chocolate bomb if you want a double hot chocolate!